Sunday, August 19, 2007

GAINFULLY EMPLOYED....SORT OF

I recently started a job in the Blue Valley school district as a special education paraprofessional. I know what you're thinking..not exactly my field, but it provides me with full benefits, and I am really enjoying it so far. I have considered going back to school to get a teaching certificate, and I'm fairly certain that this job will provide me with the insight required to make that decision. More importantly, it will allow me to save money until I can find a position in my field. Until then, my job is the tits. I work as the liaison between the teachers and the special education department. Basically, I report to the case managers on the progress of the particular students that I follow for that day. Obviously, some kids require more help than others, but most of them are actually really cool. I get to hear the gems that come out of their mouths. Aside from getting them back on task, or quieting them down, I really don't have that many problems thus far. Plus, the novelty of being the authority figure in the whole high school dynamic has yet to wear off. I suppose I am going to ride this one out and see where it goes, at least until something better (i.e. better paying) comes along. Who knows? Maybe I'll take a shine to this gig and something bigger will come out of it. It's too soon to tell.

2 comments:

The_Ryan said...

Congrats.

The_Ryan said...

Congrats, man.

I've taken to busying myself with work and school in order to keep my mind off the fact that you and Bemis are no longer gracing the hallowed halls of this famed institution with your presence.